Friday, October 29, 2010

Morning Clutter

The minute I woke up this morning my eyes were jolted open and all I thought was 'what time is it'?

I used to lay there for a moment or two and review my sleep journey. An event in itself that helped lift off the day with thoughtfulness. I don't remember what I have dreamed. I haven't remembered in a long time or taken the time to let the worlds slowly transform. Now, I sit with a slight confusion and jump into the day. There is a good side to that and a bad side. I just haven't figured it all out yet.

Getting up in the morning is a difficult task for alot of people. I think of teenagers. Specifically, my teenagers. They have made me so proud. They dream. They have tested 'the line' society has drawn for them. They realize they need to do the work to celebrate the results. And yet, the most beautiful time of the day is the most difficult for them to face. I have always made a point of making the morning the best before they face the world. I would ensure the breakfast was one that sent an aroma throughtout the house. Even those mornings, and there were many, when the cupboards and fridge had nothing I was always able to create a breakfast they ate with smiles. I think their favorite was buttered biscuits and oatmeal. I was never a eggs and bacon breakfast eater. I grew up in a family where those breakfasts were saved for the adults. And they only occurred on weeks when the social benefits were out. Its amazing how, when you have nothing, family makes the day worth facing and fighting for.
Now just to figure out how to get these teens to make their first class in the morning.

As for me I have an appointment this morning. I don't like the idea I had to resort to social benefits to survive in this time of my life. I had dreamed, imagined, planned, crawled to ensure my life would be different. Yet, here I am. I search for employment and send resumes every morning. The other day, the city council rejected a hiring policy that would acknowledge the fact that racism exists and prevents equal opportunity for "qualified Aboriginal" people. Well that is a whole other issue yet is connected to why I need my teenagers to take as many hours in the day to hone their skills.

In our language, Umbe Washte, its a good day, i said everyday. No matter what struggles they are all seen as good. Our only responsibility is to live a good life. That can be a long list of 'to dos'. So life never should be boring. Now to go shake up teenage sleep.

No comments: